Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Transition

"Are you feeling settled?"

I can't tell you how many times we've been asked that question both here in Illinois and from people back home in LA. It may sound like a simple question, but really, it's not that easy. How do you "settle" quickly after leaving a lifetime of memories, friends, family, and an amazing church home? It takes time.

We LOVE Peoria, the people, and the church here! And we long to be at a depth of friendship and ministry with people that can take 10 years to build. But God has been gracious. Kind people are reaching out to befriend us, and Josh continues to grow in his preaching. It's a a big adjustment to start preparing two sermons a week. But Josh is a champ and is bringing the Word faithfully. He's definitely busy...there have been lots of church events, including a trip to Six Flags.

All the boxes are gone out of our new apartment and pictures are hung. I (Janea) have been having a blast trying out new decorating ideas and I've discovered that you can find some pretty cool things from the Salvation Army  and Good Will. :) I've pinned some pics of our new apartment. If you're on Pinterest, check it out. I got to visit my sister and her family for my nephew's 4th birthday party, which was a very special time. I also just volunteered to help write content for our church website. They are revamping the entire site and thought my skills would be helpful in the process. I'm excited to start a fun project like this. We've decided to visit the idea of me working part-time, but we'll make that decision in September. For right now, I'm busy as you can tell.

We just got back from an overnight retreat with the graduating sr. high students. They call it a "transition retreat." It's a time to prepare the students for challenges they might encounter in college. We discussed picking a church, and even practical things like study tips. The ironic part about the transition retreat is that all of the leaders are themselves in the midst of big transitions--Josh and I moving here and settling in, and the other leader Dan and his wife Mandy just had a baby a few weeks ago (their second). So, we had fun "transitioning" together. Lots of junk food, good conversations, and we even figured out how to start a pontoon after conquering some battery issues. 

We are so thankful for how God is working here, and we know we are where God wants us, but we still do miss CA for sure! We're excited for what God has planned, that we have yet to discover.



 Pics: Me with Dan and Mandy's oldest--she's such a cutie.
Josh with some youth group guys at Six Flags.
My nephews and their cousins at a Tin Caps baseball game.






2 comments:

  1. Awww miss you guys! Glad you are loving Peoria and adjusting. Tell Josh I say hi!

    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update! LOVE and miss ya'll.

    ReplyDelete